Wednesday 12 June 2013

The Packed Lunch Project: Part 1

Jodi commented on my soup recipe asking for some ideas for packed lunches for her twins to take to nursery. Her family lives in Dubai and she asked me to exclude chicken and rice as she worries about food poisoning in the heat; also sandwiches as the twins aren't keen!

Since I started working on it a few weeks ago it seems to have grown into something of a marathon project so I'm splitting it into two posts!

The internet is full of cute ideas to do with presenting children's food in a novelty way and it's frankly a bit of a challenge to come up with new ideas. But I'm a believer in food looking like food (you can keep your smiley faces and star cutter sandwiches unless it's a party) and that children on the whole can eat whatever we eat once you bear in mind anything not suitable for young ages. Kids like flavour too! So most of these are going to be things that I love to make for my own lunch and would suit the whole family, not just the kids.

My own family lived in Hong Kong when I was younger so we also had the challenge of lunches that would stay fresh in a coolbag until lunchtime.  I'm therefore also going to try and remember some of my mum's ideas that my sister and I used to like: for two months after we arrived we had no permanent accommodation and she had to make lunches on a hotel room dressing table!

Here's my first four....

1. The Dubai Delicious

Especially for Jodi: Falafel, green couscous, roasted peppers, mint & green chilli dip

I made my own (not very good) falafel but Waitrose sells great ones. The green couscous has food processed fresh spinach and mint stirred in before adding the liquid - good way to get secret veg into kids plus the green colour makes it fun! Exclude the chilli if your kids aren't keen on spicy tastes.




2. The Next Day Barbecue

Sausages, halloumi bites, corn on the cob, griddled asparagus, courgette, cherry tomatoes, new potatoes

The principle of this is to just use your barbecue leftovers for a great and no-effort lunch the next day.

Try all kinds of veg on skewers or in big pieces, plus any kind of marinated fish or meat.


3. The Ploughman's Platter

Cheese, crackers, chutney, hard-boiled egg, apple, cherry tomatoes, pickles, houmous, crudités

Give the traditional ploughman's a shake up with a selection of cold nibbles. Let kids try chutney, pickles and slightly more unusual things - I know lots who love vinegary tastes.

P.S. I'm not advocating Laughing Cow - rather a selection of whatever you have in the fridge!


4. The Scandi Style

Smoked salmon trimmings, dill potatoes, lemon crème fraiche dip, cucumber salad

My favourite recipe so far - very quick to make and delicious. My cucumber salad is actually Delia Smith's Sweet Pickled Cucumber (highly recommended) but you could also just slice and dress fresh cucumber. I've also got chopped shallot and cornichons on the potatoes - you might want to exclude for kids.

These may not look easy but I promise they are - I've been having great lunches as a result of writing this post that were no more work than making a salad or similar as usual.

I haven't included full recipes for these but can do if required. Let me know if you give them a try and if you've got requests for the next post, please comment below!

Jodi is mum to twins Oscar and Bailee 3, and Maple Violet 10 months. You can see all her family's recipe favourites at www.facebook.com/JodiRecipes  and read her daily photo blog at http://www.blipfoto.com/JPS

2 comments:

  1. mmmm lovely, colourful ideas. I like that you have incorporated a good proportion of their 5+ a day :-) Inspired by the salmon and dill potatoes as a lunchbox idea. I remember making them for myself a few years back but the potatoes were covered with a light dill/yoghurt sauce. Do you just boil and sprinkle with dill? All my three love salmon. Boiled eggs are a favourite in their lunch boxes :-)

    Oscar and Bailee like their apples cut up but we have had issues with them going "Yucky". I want to try holding them together with a rubber band!

    Will definitely try them with the green couscous and falafel. Yummy! Thanks so much for the ideas.... I agree about the smiley face, bento box style lunch boxes.... too time consuming for me every day.

    Will be trying and reporting back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sliced apple is an issue - try covering in lemon juice to stop is turning brown? Loving rubber band idea, tell me if it works!

    I just sprinkled the dill on plain potatoes but confession: my crème fraiche dip was fat-free natural yoghurt with lemon juice and zest. Had to keep it diet-friendly! So you could stir it together rather than keep separate.

    Looking forward to your reviews!

    ReplyDelete